When do women experience hot flushes?
What causes hot flushes?
Hot flushes usually affect women who are approaching menopause and are caused by changes in your hormone levels affecting your body’s temperature control. Usually hormone imbalance is the main culprit and together with other symptoms, these flushes can make a woman´s life very difficult.
Estrogen Dominance is one of the reasons women suffer from Hot Flushes, too much estrogen does not make for a happy healthy woman.
They can also be triggered by:
- eating spicy foods
- caffeine and alcohol
- wearing thick clothing
- a high temperature
- feeling stressed or anxious
- treatment for certain types of cancer (this can affect both men and women)
- certain medicines
- an overactive thyroid, diabetes, and tuberculosis
Treatments for hot flushes & Tips for reducing them
- cut out or reduce strong coffee and tea, replace it with fruit infusions, ginger in hot water with a slice of lemon
- stop smoking – this can kill you, why would you want to smoke anyway it’s smelly and ugly!
- keep the room cool and use a fan (electric or handheld) if necessary
- if you feel a flush coming on, spray your face with cool water or use a cold gel pack
- wear loose layers of light cotton and keep a fresh cologne by your bed
- use cotton bed linen and if necessary place a small towel on your pillow, add some drops of lavender oil
- cut down on alcohol, drink long drinks with a small amount of alcohol and lots of tonic or lemon
- sip cold or iced drinks when you are at work or relaxing
- if you wake up in the night take a cool shower, with the showerhead start from your feet upwards, repeat. Dab yourself dry and you will sleep relaxed
- if the medicine is causing your hot flushes, talk to your doctor about other ways you can take it to avoid this side effect
- if you are taking HRT and didn’t have flushes before, stop using it immediately
Complementary therapies for hot flushes
Women often turn to complementary therapies as a “natural” way to treat their hot flushes. Let´s be honest, this is the best route for any woman who wants to take care of her body and live longer. ProgesterAll is what we would call the “miracle cream” it does everything in “one small dab of cream”
7 Tips to Balance your Hormones